A few months ago, I shared some of my self-care rituals on Melanin Habits. However, I neglected to mention that tongue scraping is a vital part of my morning dental care routine. When you wake up in the morning, do you ever notice a white or yellow film on your tongue? That’s bacteria. Not too pleasant, right? Well actually, that film is pretty natural. While we are sleeping, our body detoxifies itself. The film on your tongue when you wake up is your body’s way of expelling toxins (also known as “morning breath”). Tongue scraping is one of the easiest things you can do to get rid of that film, improve the health of your mouth and your digestion. You can even do it at night before bed if your mouth is feelin’ a little funky. (And yes, plant-based foodies need to scrape their tongue too.)
Some Benefits of Tongue Scraping:
- Decreases the amount of undesirable bacteria on your tongue and in your mouth
- Removes that white / yellow film that ultimately leads to bad breath
- Increases your tastebuds’ ability to taste food more efficiently and effectively, which improves the digestive process
- Gently stimulates your internal organs
- Reduces cavities
Tongue scrapers come in a convenient u-shape so they fit comfortably in your mouth. You can use a copper or metal tongue scraper. However, I prefer copper because it is widely known for its antimicrobial properties.
Here’s How You Do It:
- Before you oil pull, floss or brush your teeth, gently place the tongue scraper on the back of your tongue and pull it forward. The further back you can scrape, the better.
- Repeat this process 7 to 10 times, rinsing your tongue scraper between each swipe. (This literally takes maybe 2 minutes, tops!)
- Continue with the remainder of your dental care routine.
I prefer the HealthAndYoga™ tongue cleaner because it’s affordable, made with pure copper, dishwasher safe and comes with a lifetime warranty. You can pick up your own copper tongue scraper in my Amazon shop here.
All photos by WillPowerPhotos for That’s Chelsea